Dear Ronald,
If you ever read this, I am afraid it will be a terrible shock to you. I hoped it would not be necesary to write it, but now your behaviour has forced me to face some very unpleasant posibilities.
Did you not realize, Ronald, that any middle-aged woman who has been rushed into marriage to a stranger will ask herself about her husband's reason for marrying her? At first I thought I was in love with you, but when you asked me to make my will on our wedding day, I beagn to worry. And then, when you started making changes to the bathroom in this house, I decided to act quickly. So I went to the police.
Have you noticed that the people who have moved into the house next door have never spoken to you? Well, they are not a husband and wife, but a police inspector and a policewoman. The policewoman showed me two pieces from old newspapers, both about women who had died from accidents in their baths soon after marriages. Both pieces included a photograph of the husband at the funeral. They were not very clear, but I was able to recognize you. So I realized that it was my duty to agree to do what the inspector asked me to do. (The police have been looking for the man since the photographs were given to them by your second wife's brother.) The inspector said the police needed to be sure that you were guilty: you must be given the opportunity to try the crime again. That's why I am forcing myself to be brave, and to play my part. I want to tell you something, Ronald. If one day you lose me, out of the bathroom, I mean, yo will find that I have gone out over the kitchen roof, and am sitting in the kitchen next door. I was stupid to marry you, but not quite as stupid as you thought.
Yours,
Edyth.